Ballard Center is a non-profit organization that provides a high quality, affordable early education program and essential basic life assistance for families and individuals in need. Programs include:
- Food security
- Clothing assistance, including professional clothing for those transitioning back into work through our Suitable for Work closet
- Assistance with rent and utilities
- Holiday assistance for families through Holiday Bureau/Adopt-a-Family
- Bi-Monthly Mobile Food Distribution in partnership with Harvesters held at the Douglas County Fairgrounds every 2nd and 4th Tuesday.
- An early childhood program that provides affordable quality education for children ages two through five in a daycare setting with a trauma-informed curriculum. If you’re searching for an affordable preschool in Lawrence, KS, look no further!
In 2019, the Ballard Center had 61 children enrolled in early childhood education, and 244 household members were impacted by our early education program. Ballard’s services reached the community in other ways, too, as 543 household members were impacted by our emergency services, and we had 1,068 unduplicated clients visit our pantries.
By Appointment only: Monday through Friday at 708 Elm.
News & Info
Our Quarterly e-newsletter is out and it’s full of good stuff! If you want to stay up-to-date with Ballard news and activities, you can subscribe at the bottom of our home page. We know you probably get a lot of e-mails, so we try to stick to quarterly updates, news about events, or other time-sensitiveJanuary 28, 2021
Thinking about what to do for lunch? Order EatStreet delivery DEC 8 until DEC 18, use the code BALLARD at checkout, and do a little good while eating some good food. Order from a local biz and look at that, the trifecta of Good Stuff! Spread the word, friends!December 8, 2020
Holiday Bureau Family Intake will begin on October 26th and run thru Nov 6th. . It will be virtual. No in person intakes will be allowed. Due to a predicted influx in families asking for assistance and a possible decrease in donors we will only be able to offer adoption to children under 18 years ofOctober 26, 2020
In the first few days of an ominous summer in Lawrence thanks to COVID-19, Shania Lamm, a member of the Lawrence Rotary Club and Central National Bank employee, contacted the Ballard Center with one simple question: How can I help? The COVID-19 pandemic made volunteering for group projects almost impossible even though the need wasSeptember 24, 2020